These last couple months have been full of adventure and fun. We’ve made tons of memories. It’s truly a dream of mine to travel, homeschool and spend tons of time with my kids.
It’s funny that I write that, right now, in the mental state I’m in because it seems a bit fake. It’s TRUE the words that I wrote right above this. It doesn’t mean though that I don’t get completely overwhelmed at times. I started this blog for my kids. I stared blogging (and getting the blogs made into books) so they could read about their childhood when they are older. Let’s be honest for a minute then, because I feel like that can be helpful too. I don’t want them thinking that our family is perfect and then expect that in return. It’s not real and perfection isn’t really attainable.
Does anyone else feel like being a mom is a lot…haha…like a whole lot? Homeschooling, road trips, laundry, cooking, grocery shopping, listening and trying your best to respond in a godly manner to every question or complaint they have, is t-totally (as my dad always says) exhausting. There is no other place I would rather be than where I am so I often feel guilty for feeling this way. We tend to wear masks as ladies-we are always “okay”- it’s okay to take our masks off and not be okay for a minute. It’s dangerous to stay there but totally healthy to be there for a time. I’m just so thankful for God’s prevenient grace. Grace that comes before we need or even ask for it. God is in every season of our lives and he’s working before we even see him. I’m so thankful that the God of the universe also created me, Hayley. He loves me unconditionally and is filling in the gaps when I completely mess things up. I pray everyday to be the role model these precious souls deserve. If your struggling through a season, just know you aren’t alone. Tomorrow is a new day and God’s steadfast love is new every morning!
Now that we have all that off our chests, HA, let’s move on to our trip. We spent nearly three weeks always from home in September. It was so fun and so worth the miles and miles we drove in the pickup. We ended up visiting 10 states, Arkansas, Tennessee, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. We really enjoyed this part of the United States. Great Smoky National Park was an absolute favorite!
We visited a ton of Civil War sites along what way. One cool thing about homeschooling is we waited to do our unit over the Civil War on this trip. Even though I’ve taught this twice before and Tye and I both learned about it in school there is always more to learn. We all love history.
We got ice cream at a local sweet shop and Myles made sure to get every last drop!
He’s a plain chocolate kind of guy.
We got to see our Alabama family for a couple days. We had the best time with them. They are just good, down to earth people, full of hospitality and loads of fun! We got to watch Alabama beat Texas in their backyard ‘Bama Nation’ they built just for watching Alabama basically beat everyone they play. Can’t wait to go back and see them soon!
We did the Music Walk of Fame in Nashville, TN. Sydney had to be sure to get a picture with Elvis Presley to show Honey.
North Carolina was incredibly beautiful. It was so green and had more trees than I’ve ever seen in my life. The roads would have these canopies of trees that we drove through. It was so cool!! We hiked to see three waterfalls one day. This day was laid back and fun. It was a good day!
Grand Ole’ Opry for the ultimate music lovers in our family, Tye and Ryan. I wish we would’ve been able to see a show. Maybe someday…
We stayed at Greenbrier Campground in Gatlinburg, TN. I would recommend this campground and area to anyone. It was a 10/10! The kids loved playing in the freezing cold river. Tye and I didn’t get in, hahaha, we just watched them be CRAZY!
One day we drove to Williamsburg, Kentucky and did the Ark Encounter and the Creation Museum. It was truly incredible. The creation museum was so cool and full of tons of reading and Biblical history.
Myles loved the waterfalls and wanted a picture at each one. He loves being outside in nature and looking for animals. He says he wants to be a Zoologist someday. I hope he fulfills this dream of his because Tye and I will do just about anything to help him make it happen.
The door of the Ark. Y’all, I CANNOT put into words how amazing this experience was for our family. These doors were huge! The entire experience gave me chills just remembering what God did for Noah, his faithful servant. The Bible says in Genesis 7:16 “God shut them in.” They were safe and Noah knew it. We all talked about having faith like Noah did. It’s something we should strive for every single day.
We ate at a delicious little cafe called The Loveless Cafe recommended by B and Shell. They were right those biscuits and peach jelly were to die for!
We took a guided tour of The Carnton Plantation in Franklin, TN. This plantation home became the largest temporary field hospital for tending the wounded and dying during the Battle of Franklin. There was still blood stains on the wooden floors because more than 1,750 confederates lost their lives that day. Our tour guide told the story from the perspective of the children who lived there. They were 9 and 7, Myles and Sydney’s ages. We were all on the edge of our seats the entire time she was talking. I think this experience really brought history to life for the kids.
The Smoky Mountains were so beautiful. I do believe I could live there! Haha
The kids in front of a Confederate Cemetery. It was so sad to us how many lost their lives during the Civil War. What a sad time in our history that is important for us to teach and learn about still.
“Those who do not know history are destined to repeat it.”-Edmund Burke
A drive we took often to town from our campsite. It was so beautiful!
This time they were jumping from the big rock. Don’t worry we made sure it was deep enough!
Myles and another waterfall! This one was named in the Cherokee language Juney Whank Falls. The kids were so excited about that because they are like 1/64 Cherokee on Tye’s side. Haha
We love our Native American roots!
We ate at Paula Deen’s restaurant. Ayden and I watched her all the time when Ayden was younger.
Tye and I in the Ark on the lower level. It was so fun on this level. It was raining and we all acted like we were really going on the Ark. People probably thought we were nuts!
Hello Indiana!
There were creeks and rivers at every turn in Tennessee.
The view from our camping spot. God’s creation is so vast and beautiful. Last year, we saw the desert and lots of Utah. It’s totally different than Tennessee but both are just awe-inspiring!
Ayden with one of her favorite singers, Tim McGraw! You can’t go wrong with ole’ Tim!
Ryan in front of a waterfall in North Carolina. This one was a HIKE to get too. Haha, the map even said when you get there you’ll want to catch your breath. It was so kind of them to write a map just for me!
We ate at a Chinese restaurant just for a change of pace one day. We had been traveling for hours and everyone needed to get out and stretch their legs for a bit. Sydney wanted to try to eat her meal with chopsticks. She did shockingly well. I could not do it. My fingers wouldn’t cooperate! She must get it from her Daddy because Tye can eat with them too.
We walked around downtown in Gatlinburg one afternoon. We stopped and watched a blacksmith for a while. It was so neat to watch!
We toured Andrew Jackson’s hermitage one day (probably a favorite of everyone) and got to ride in a horse drawn buggy through the grounds.
Ryan and his main man, Alan Jackson.
Myles and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
We met up with Poppa and Honey in Alabama and spent the rest of our vacation with them. We love our time with Poppa and Honey. They are such good grandparents and friends to us. We spent time with family and then headed to Gulf Shores for a week. Gulf Shores was so beautiful. It’s really hard to beat a sunset on the beach for me. The feeling, the sound of the powerful sea, the birds, the kids playing in the sand truly renews my soul.
SHARK- this little guy visited us two days in a row. He was hunting for sting rays a fisherman told us. When he was first spotted you’d have thought it was a scene from Jaws. The kids were snorkeling and all of a sudden a lady down the beach yells SHARK. I shot up out of my chair and ran to the water to get my babies. If that was an Olympic sport I’d have won the gold. I also might have made a slight fool of myself but I’m happy to report not one Massey or Mason was bitten by a shark on this trip! Haha
Sandcastles are my second favorite thing to watching the sunsets at the beach. Ryan worked so hard on this and I loved listening to him tell me all about it.
What a little travel Buddy we have in Rusters! Aside from eating Tye’s entire Buccees barbecue sandwich when no one was looking he was the best travel companion!
Snorkeling is a daddy and kid favorite. It’s not my jam so I’m thankful Tye’s always willing to get out there with them.
Did I mention when I saw the Ark I cried? Once again, my family thought I was crazy but my goodness I couldn’t help it. I still can’t get over how big it was!
LuLu’s for supper! This restaurant was so good. We had fried crab claws and they were excellent!
Hermie, enjoyed his days at the beach. Since we’ve been home he decided country livin’ wasn’t for him and went on to the “wild blue wonder.” He was loved and is now buried beside all the other beloved pets we’ve had.
Myles is always loads of fun and entertaining. I’m so thankful (mostly) there isn’t a dull moment when you’re with him.
Hello Louisiana!
Poppa and Syd playing frisbee at the beach. She can do anything, this girl! From chopsticks to frisbee, her body just gets it. Again, she didn’t take that after me. My body is often confused at what I’m trying to do.
Ayden always puts a little seashell at the top of her castles. It’s the most precious thing from the most precious girl.
“And God said, I will give you something to prove that I made this promise to you. It will continue forever to show that I have made an agreement with you and every living thing on earth. I am putting a rainbow in the clouds as proof.” Genesis 9:12-13
Myles caught a fish with his bare hand. Then, in true Myles fashion felt bad and made it it’s own little lagoon.
The girls worked and worked and made an entire kingdom! It’s so fun to watch the tide come in and try to save it. We were all on our hands and knees laughing and shoveling sand. It was a good day.
My sweet little tween girl. May you always stay as sweet as you are at 12 years old, Ayden Scarlett!
Hello Mississippi!
Hahahaha, Myles as Linus
Ryan just makes me smile. He’s such a cool kid and I enjoy every minute I have with him. He’s going to do such great things in his life.
Lake Martin in Alabama was a family FAVORITE! We’ve already said we are going back here and spending a whole week. It was the most beautiful state park I have ever been to. My Alabama family sells peanuts on Peanut Point all summer. We’d love to go see them, eat boiled peanuts and look at this view!
Noah would’ve for sure put them in this cage after about two days.
We went to a dinner theater show in Pigeon Forge called the Hatfield and McCoy show. It was so fun!! We ate fried chicken and watched a hilarious show. Sydney thought it was funny to act like she was dead. Haha
Ryan and Sydney buried Myles in the sand. They covered his little face so he wouldn’t get sunburned while they worked. They can be super thoughtful at times.
Ryan loves making sandcastles at the beach. We also love to look for shells together. He’s my bud, for sure!
The sun was so bright one day while we were driving. I look over and Tye had on two pairs of sunglasses. THIS is one of the many reasons I love this man. He keeps me laughing constantly!
Sydney opened ‘Syd’s Sweet Shoppe’ on the beach. She sold cupcakes, ice cream and popsicles. This time they were all made of sand but one day she’ll be quite the little baker!
Kids playing, Poppa helping dig and Honey contemplating what giant creatures are out in the water. Haha
This was a building at the Carter House. The bullet holes are from the Battle of Franklin. I can’t even imagine how scary that day was for the Carter and Lotz families.
Kaw-Liga the Indian. We ate at this restaurant so we had to get his picture. If you’ve never heard about Kaw-Liga then look up the song by the good ole’ Hank Williams.
There was a small zoo at the Ark Encounter that we took about an hour to walk through. I think this little lemur was just as surprised to see us as we were to see him.
Hello Kentucky!
Hands up, dad!
We took a guided tour of the Carter House. This house was owned by the Carter family and the Battle of Franklin took place right outside their window. Everyone that lived in this house and the family across the street took shelter in the basement. We got to go into the basement and see exactly where they sat. It was very heartbreaking to see little chairs and even a high chair for the little ones that had to sit through this battle, not understanding, I’m sure just like their parents why. This is a must see if you are ever in Franklin, TN.
Ryan with his feet on Georgia soil! He’s always wanted to go to Georgia because that’s where his main man, Alan, grew up.
Sydney passing the time waiting on her breakfast to get to the table.
Hello Ohio!
We went to the corn maze with our wonderful friends, the Blevins, again this year. Tye’s family always joins us and it’s one of my favorite nights of the year. The “big” kids did the big maze again this year and had a blast. We ate too much kettle corn and roasted corn and I don’t regret a minute of it! Ryan didn’t get to go this year because he was doing something else (more on that later) so Myles made sure to leave a spot for him in our picture.
Ryan got to spend a couple days with his great aunt and uncle, BB and Doug. They went to play golf one evening and I know Ryan was on cloud 9!
Checking out some petroglyphs in Arizona.
We had family pictures made in October. I can’t wait to see what the talented Whitney captured of our family. Isn’t Ayden so beautiful? She is growing up so fast.
We cleaned out our flower pots and found a nest of baby bunnies. We left all the flowers to help keep them protected until they grew up and hopped out. It was so fun to see them grow and watch the kids check on them everyday.
Trunk or Treat 2022
Old McDonald himself and of course his lovely wife. Haha
Tye and I were the farm animals. I think we can pull off a cow and pig pretty well.
Axel Rose rockin’ and rollin’ in the church parking lot.
We got to go to the Massey/Baker Bash at the end of October. It’s always fun to get to spend a weekend with my dad’s side of the family. I love them so!
Ryan and Myles provided some entertainment with their instruments. They are both becoming quite the musicians.
Halloween 2022
Axel Rose, Shania Twain, dragon ninja (can’t forget the dragon part) and a witch
Ryan got to check off a DREAM, a bucket list item, a once in a lifetime opportunity. BB and Doug took him all the way to ARIZONA to see Alan Jackson in his farewell tour. I know this boy was so happy and it truly was something so special for him. Ryan teared up when Alan walked out on stage. This is something he will never forget and I can’t thank Doug and Brittney enough for making it happen for him.
Halloween party at Poppa and Honey’s house. This is something special Honey does every single year with her grandkids. They make all kinds of Halloween treats, watch Halloween movies and play games for prizes. They look forward to this every year and I know Honey does too!
Ayden broke her last baby tooth in half at Trunk or Treat. I took her to the dentist the next day and she was helped by non other than Woody and a mouse from the Three Blind Mice. We have such a fun dentist. If you need someone to see check out Dr. Travis Epperson. He’s the best!
Sydney helping momma wash the dishes. She saw a need and fulfilled it without being asked to. It was precious and so appreciated by me.
We got to go to Cloudcroft with B, Shell, Mandy, Kam and Koda. We had a fun weekend! The kids built a fort and loved playing with Boone, Kam and Koda’s new pup. What a blessing we have in our family!
Ryan spent a couple days with Mim and Grandaddy and Mim taught him how to make fudge. He’s loves to make it and can do it all on his own from start to finish. He’s going to make quite the husband someday.
Hello Tennessee!
We carved pumpkins with Poppa and Honey one night. The kids did a really good job!
He loads and unloads the dishes too! We rotate chores every couple of months so the kids will eventually know how to do it all. I’m so proud of them for helping.
Sydney and her baby doll matched on Halloween. It was so cute!
Ummm, who dat’?
It’s Ayden looking way to old for her britches!
We surprised the kids one afternoon and took them to Blazing Bouncers on Sydney’s birthday. They basically had the whole place to themselves. It was a good day to burn off some energy.
Myles and his twin, Buccee.
Myles and Sydney’s little fort that they built all by themselves in Cloudcroft.
Hello Georgia!
We hoed the day before we went on vacation. These kids have to work for their fun!
Halloween treats made by the kids and Honey at the party.
Tye being super creepy at the Halloween store. He didn’t even care that all of Lubbock put that mask on too. Honestly, this mask was so real and freaky looking!
Ayden got to spend a week with BB and Doug too. Ayden learned how to play Pickle-ball and is now hooked! We played together after she got back and it was so fun!
Ayden workin on her Girama with BB. I love that these two have a love for the language. BB has a love for the people as well and Ayden hopes to visit someday.
Working at the food bank. I’m so thankful that not just me and Tye, but our extended family also tries to teach our children to have a servant heart.
Daddy and Syd swinging together in Alabama.
Myles and I got to have an afternoon together at home, just the two of us. We watched National Geographic shows and sat together for a couple hours. This boy has a love for animals just like his momma.
Honey’s Halloween table and nacho bar.
I got to teach a pumpkin several times in October.
Boys have a way of seeping into their momma’s heart and blessing it immensely. Watching these two work together was the highlight of my day.
Ryan got to go see some pumpkins with BB and Doug!
WHEW! This was a lot to go through. What a blessed and busy couple months we’ve had. I hope one day when the kids read this they know how truly loved and cherished they are, not only by us but by our wonderful family and friends.
Happy Fall Y’all!
No comments:
Post a Comment