As I'm sitting here in the quiet (everyone is napping) of my living room sipping on a hot cup of coffee (because let's face it I'm sleepy and it wakes me up) I started thinking about mothers. I've already started seeing post about mothers and quotes about mothers and I thought I'd do a post about it. But, what do I know really know about being a mother? I'm such a young mother. I've got no wise advice to give new moms after all I've only been doing this thing for about 6 years.
The only thing I KNOW is that I love my children with everything that I am. I didn't know how much four little babies could bless my life they way they have. They have changed me...for the better. They made me a Momma. So for all that I do know and all that I have learned this is what I have to give.
Being a Mom is:
eating dirty water and flower petal soup and pretending it's the best thing you've ever had.
breaking up fights, sending to timeout, and giving the occasional spanking. Not because you want to but because you have too.
carrying cortisone cream, a band-aid, silly putty and a couple suckers in your purse at all times.
cleaning muddy shoes...over and over. Then giving them permission to go stomp in muddy puddles knowing you will have to clean the shoes again.
washing sheets and making beds...even the top bunk bed and whamming your head on the ladder EVERY SINGLE time.
making sure you grab their favorite pair of underwear after bath time just to see them cheer.
letting them sleep with you during thunder storms.
still loving them after they have screamed in their carseat for no reason at all on the way home from Lubbock.
knowing that a smile and thank you is the only words to say when they have picked every single flower petal off of your freshly planted garden to bring you a bouquet.
It's about struggling. Struggling in church to try to keep them quiet,
struggling at a restaurants, at doctors offices, in the middle of the
night when someone is awake or has thrown up...struggling.
serving your family first, never eating a hot meal and getting up a million times while your eating your luke warm meal.
finding the strength deep deep down in your soul when you have told them to quit playing with their gum and you find it in the living room carpet to not have the temper tantrum you've gotten onto them about.
kissing boo boos, getting cold packs and having magic mom breath that can blow away the hurt on a skinned knee.
it's about grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning and having a never ending to do list.
it's about giving the kid who hates broccoli only one little teeny tiny piece because you know Daddy will make them eat whatever Momma cooks .
is giving up your good smelling potpourri bowl to make into a "rock
collection" just so they can find you another rock to put into it..
Being a mom is giving up what you may need or want to put someone else in front of yourself. It's the hardest thing I've ever done but the most important task I've taken on so far in my life. I'm so thankful for the people around me that encourage, listen to my frustrations and help to guide me mother in the way I should go.
Being a mother is work and everything that's great and good is worth working for.
The one thing I can do to encourage other young mothers or "old" mothers is to just be there for your kids. Be there everyday even with your mistakes and shortcomings because chances are they don't see them. Chances are you are much harder on yourself than anyone else could be.
Chances are you are doing an amazing job.
Now grab a Kleenex and watch this video. It'll probably make you cry!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLRs29PmOmg#action=share
No comments:
Post a Comment